Pat Moore Memorial Game Fish Derby


I’m sorry to report that the 2016 Pat Moore Memorial Game Fish Derby has been cancelled. This decision was made in light of the reduced staff capacity at TIWC this summer as well as low returns of king salmon. I apologize for any inconvenience this causes. If your organization would like to run the Pat Moore Memorial Game Fish Derby in the future, please contact me at


Each year, TIWC hosts the Pat Moore Memorial Game Fish Derby.  Hundreds of entrants from the U.S. and Canada enter to win cash prizes and bragging rights.

If you would like to volunteer your time or donate a prize to the derby, contact the TIWC office by phone (907-983-2426) or email ( for more information.

2015 Supporters

  • Skagway Convention and Visitors Bureau, Skagway
  • Fraternal Order of Eagles #25, Skagway
  • White Pass and Yukon Route, Skagway
  • Richter’s Jewelry, Skagway
  • Alaska Liquor Store, Skagway
  • SMART Bus, Skagway
  • Petro Marine, Skagway
  • Fat Salmon Charters, Skagway
  • Skagway Fishing Charters, Skagway
  • Kal Tire, Whitehorse YT
  • Nature Creations, Skagway
  • Radio Shack/ Broadway Video, Skagway
  • Alaska Power and Telephone, Skagway
  • Skagway Brewing Company, Skagway
  • Yukon Brewing Company, Whitehorse YT
  • Alaska Brewing Company, Juneau
  • Fairway Market, Skagway
  • Cafe Balzam, Whitehorse YT



 Derby Proceeds

The derby is TIWC’s main annual fundraiser, bringing in unrestricted funding for projects not already funded through grants. These projects include Salmon in the Classroom, Clean Sweep, the Community Weed Pull, the Active Trails Program, and grant writing.

Derby Proceeds also fund a $500 scholarship for a graduating Skagway High School Senior. The 2014 recipient was Donavan Henson. For more information on the scholarship contact TIWC by email (

Proceeds also go towards a donation to the ALS Association in memory of Pat Moore.

 About Pat Moore

Pat Moore moved to Skagway with his family as a young boy, grew up here, and graduated from Skagway Public School as valedictorian. After working as an air traffic controller in the Navy, Pat returned to Skagway where he met and married his wife, Donna.  The couple had two children, Kristen and Joe, who also grew up in Skagway.

Pat was an avid outdoorsman who loved hiking, hunting, fishing and simply being outside with his family.  His enthusiasm for the outdoors got him appointed to the Dyea Flats Advisory Committee and the Fish Hatchery Oversight Committee.  In recognition of his work in the outdoors and with children, the footbridge over the Skagway River to Seven Pastures was named after him.  The proclamation called Pat a tireless advocate for improved recreational facilities and Skagway’s recreational opportunities.

Pat Moore Memorial Game Fish Derby

Pat was diagnosed with ALS in 1999 and passed away on February 13, 2005.  Every year we honor Pat’s memory through the Pat Moore Memorial Fish Derby.  A portion of the proceeds of the event are donated to the ALS Association and fund a scholarship at the Skagway Public School, awarded to a graduating senior.

What is ALS?

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

ALS, or Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, is a disease of the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement.  Also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, ALS affects 5 out of every 100,000 people worldwide.  About 10% of cases the cause is a genetic defect.  The cause is unknown in the other 90% of cases.  There is no cure for ALS.

Every year, a portion of the proceeds from the Pat Moore Memorial Fish Derby is donated to the ALS Association.  Donations to the ALS Association support research to find a cure for ALS and provide much-needed service to patients and their families.

To learn more about the ALS Association or to make a donation, visit

Leave a Reply